The Association for Preservation Technology International (APT) and the APT Technical Committee for Materials seek abstract submissions for a special materials-themed issue of the APT Bulletin. This special edition will focus on the controversies, challenges, and developments in architectural materials conservation and preservation philosophy and practice. We are seeking articles centering on challenges in materials science, materials conservation, or preservation design concerning specific individual architectural materials or material assemblies. Articles could illustrate debates surrounding materials selection or use differing international viewpoints, unique technical interventions, cross-discipline collaboration, and substitute materials. We invite submissions focusing on materials aspects of architectural conservation and preservation technology such as but not limited to the following:
• Challenges and issues in materials testing methods and testing programs.
• Conservation debates illustrated by the treatment of a specific material.
• Evolving standards in materials conservation.
• Lessons learned in materials conservation.
• Philosophies in conservation of architectural materials.
• Sustainability and architectural materials.
• Unique factors involved in the deterioration of materials.
Pertinent materials include but are not limited to:
• Architectural surface finishes.
• Cement and concrete.
• Ceramic and fired-clay materials.
• Mortar, plaster, and renders.
• Stone and masonry materials.
Authors are encouraged to submit extendedabstracts including an outline of the paper fitting within the thematic issues listed. Case studies must include what the author(s) learned from this case study and why it is relevant to the theme of the issue. Each abstract must be: 500 – 1000 words and include an outline of the article. Please submit up to four images. Please also provide a bio of 50 words or fewer. Send to: email@example.com with the subject line as follows: APT TCM Bulletin – Abstract – [Author’s Last Name].
Submission Deadline: April 1, 2021