“Architectural documentation is a key element of our cultural heritage, being the testimony of how architecture has been created, built, managed, and used and is, in some cases, the only record of the existence of former structures or of un-built projects”. This statement can be extended to records produced in other areas related to the built environment (engineering, urbanism, urban design) which also fall within the remit of the Section on Architectural Records (SAR) of the International Council on Archives (ICA).
In the current global context, so diversified in terms of technological practices and organisational cultures, the Section on Architectural Records of the International Council on Archives and the Arquivo Distrital de Braga of Universidade do Minho propose this Congress with the aim of examining issues relating to the production and management of records from architecture and the built environment , their preservation, authentication, and use in the service of humanity.
The Congress will take place in Braga, Portugal, from 25 to 27 September 2019. It will bring together archivists and other professionals concerned with architectural archival heritage from around the world, with diverse cultural backgrounds, experiences and work traditions.
The Congress Programme Committee invites you to submit proposals for papers, presentations or case-studies with the aim of encouraging discussion and debate throughout each session.
Proposals should reflect theory and practice in archival activities as they relate to the acquisition, preservation, and management of architectural records.
Abstracts (for papers and posters) of no more than 300 words should be submitted in plain text (.txt), rich text (.rtf) or Word (.doc) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15 July 2019 (new deadline!!). Please include complete contact information with each submission (name, institution, postal address, email) and a brief CV (no more than 200 words) for each participant. Presentation should not exceed 20 minutes.
Without excluding any relevant approaches, the focus of proposals should be on the following topics:
• Arrangement and description (paper-based, digitised and born digital documents)
• Management of born digital architectural records (archival treatment; digital preservation)
• Digitising architectural records (standards, workflows, methodologies)
• Conservation issues (different support materials)
• Appraisal. What should we keep other than drawings?
• The place of archives in architectural heritage and sustainable development
• Access, dissemination and reproduction. Standard views. Copyright
• Big data and legal electronic architectural documents.